I'm going to Rome and here you will find out all about my adventures!

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Only The Living Allowed

On Friday I went on a field study to the Etruscan Necropolis!! For those that don't quite understand my excitement, the Etruscans were a civilization living just outside of Rome and were an established culture before the Romans even existed. However, the Etruscans were crucial to the development of Rome. The Etruscans traded with the Greeks and then traded that information to the Romans. Without the Etruscans the Romans would not have obtained the Greek/Latin alphabet as early as they did. The Etruscans were also a highly evolved civilization, for example women and men were treated fairly equally. Women in the Etruscan culture were allowed to dine with the men and drink wine; things that would never happen in the Greek and Roman cultures unless the woman was a prostitute. The Etruscans also built quite lavish tombs in the Necropolis which include stone beds and chairs and well preserved frescoes. So, being as in love with ancient history as I am, I was super excited for this trip! Here are some pictures of the awesome things I saw:


Tomb of the Leopards
That mound is a tomb. Amazing.

Friday was also the first real Fall weather day. It made me so happy! Apart from this excursion my weekend has been fairly tame. I've mainly just been doing laundry and studying for my midterms that are coming up!

No comments:

Post a Comment