I'm going to Rome and here you will find out all about my adventures!

Friday, November 18, 2011

Catching Up. Finally.

Ciao tutti! In Italiana that means "hello all!". See? I am learning something! So. My life after fall break. It's time to catch up. I've been spending most of my time researching for presentation, going on magnificent field studies, registering for classes for when I go back to the Woo, and getting my midterms back. I did really well on my midterms. Three As and two Bs! I also got As on my Italian composition and quiz that we took after we got back. I think I'm taking some pretty good courses for Wooster although it's going to be a hard semester since I'm starting Junior IS!? That is crazy. IS seemed so far away when I first started at Wooster, which feels like yesterday. Oh well. I guess time really does fly when you're having fun. Speaking of time moving quickly I only have 30 days before I leave for Paris! Which means that I only have 34 days before I have to leave Europe! That makes me sad but I think I'll definitely be happy to be home. But I'm not gone yet! So back to my life in Rome:
I have discovered my favorite museum in Rome, and possibly Italy. It is called the Villa Borghese and is a smaller house located in the gardens of the actual Villa Borghese built by the Cardinal Nephew Scipione Borghese. This museum has a beautiful collection of mainly Baroque and Renaissance pieces. Some of my favorites were the paintings by Raphael and Caravaggio and the immense collection of Bernini Sculptures. Here is my favorite:
Apollo and Daphne
I've also visited St. Peter's Basilica several times in the past week for field studies. It really is an amazing place. However, I did not particularly like that they replaced all of the amazing paintings with mosaic copies. If a painting was produced with oil on canvas there is no way that the same effect can be created with mosaics. The other thing that I thought was unfortunate was that you can only view Michelangelo's Pieta sculpture from far away and through a thick glass wall. Why must people try and destroy art and ruin it for everyone else? In a few weeks I go to the Vatican museums which I am excited about. I'm particularly excited to see The School of Athens.
Now, this weekend. Tonight I am catching the night train to Venice! Some of my roomies and I are going to spend all of Saturday there and hopefully get a lot of our Christmas shopping done! We may even take a waterbus to Murano, which is famous for it's glass. I'm really excited to go and see more of Italy! I'll tell you all about it when I get back to Rome!
Hello Venezia!

No comments:

Post a Comment