I'm going to Rome and here you will find out all about my adventures!

Monday, September 5, 2011

The Trade-Off

If you want to eat the fabulous pasta, pizza, prosciutto, cannolis, and other carb/sugar deliciousness then you have to walk. There is no alternative. However, Rome is too fashionable for sensible shoes and even if sneakers didn't scream "American!" it's still too hot to be wearing almost anything besides sandals. The fact the Rome seems to be about 75% cobblestone doesn't help either. Therefore, the more we eat the more we walk; the more we walk the more our feet hurt. Yet, the pain in our feet does not seem to have an effect on our enthusiasm to see Rome and take hundreds of pictures. Yesterday two of my roomies and I walked from our apartment in Monteverde to the Porte Portese in Trastevere. The Porte Portese is the largest flea market in Rome. If you are looking for anything from AAA batteries to crystal chandelier's, this is your place. We walked around the market for at least two hours. After a quick lunch we walked out of Trastevere to the Tiber River and up to Castel San Angelo where we met a friend. Then we walked into the neighborhood by the Vatican, Prati. After just hanging around for a bit we took a bus to the Colosseum. The Colosseum was absolutely amazing! I was so happy to be walking on/in history. The Arch of Constantine is right next to the Colosseum, so we went and saw that too! :D We then took the bus home to rest our very, very painful feet.
Today was the first day of intensive Italian. I'm only in 101 so we learned greetings and the alphabet today. It was fun but I think I'm most looking forward to my cooking class on Wednesday morning. In other exciting news, I am going to Florence at the end of September!!!! We booked our train rides today and everything! This semester is amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment